I have really struggled with this question over the years. Experience and watching other artists has really helped get me sorted!
So check out the video below which shows exactly what I have and how I put it all together!
Then READ BELOW the list of materials.. and my two cents on this.
The video above shows how I put it all together and what all I carry in my backpack.
"Travel LIGHT" has to be take quiet seriously here, because it isn't easy at all managing your stuff, when the main focus should be on painting, it tends to put our mood off when you don't PLAN smartly.
Also this LIST is when I go out and PLAN for a WATERCOLOR study only! For different mediums, I would vary the kind of paper, brushes etc that I need to carry. Because ofcourse each medium is different.
One also has to see the feasibility to carry them around. How messy or manageable will it be OUTSIDE.
This is also to understand, that these studies aren't FINAL works. NOT ALWAYS. They are mainly done, so your eyes and brain can CAPTURE and be trained to understand the tones and perspective of a place, or form or people or anything that you wish to capture.
FINAL artworks may or may not be done BACK AT THE STUDIO!
Let's read below the list now:
1. An A5 or A6 size SKETCHBOOK
This is enough for me, as my main aim is to capture and understand the forms, shapes and colors of a place. And I am able to CATALOG this in a smaller size as well. Please do not misconceive the concept of bigger is better. Painting a smaller work is even more difficult, when you have to capture the essence in a smaller frame!
Smaller gives you the SPACE and TIME to do MORE!!! So go for it!
These sketchbooks have a PAPER which is atleast 260gsm or more, especially made for watercolors. Plus carrying a sketchbook instead of loose sheets is that much more manageable.
In the end of the video.. I am showing a larger than A4 size sketchbook and HOWTO hold that into position. So watch again, if you missed it!
Here is a bit more about using BLACK paper (or toned ones) for Urban Sketching and using other mediums like Gouache for the same!
2. A TRAVEL palette.
What this means is carrying the BASIC colors, or the COLORS you need.
I often carry the PRIMARIES (red, yellow and blue..sometimes a green) but this can change according to a place I have planned for.
Also, by restricting the number of colors, you also tend to learn more, a lot more if you ask me.
Another good idea is to carry all the colors/shades, if possible (like I carried Camlin Artist grade cakes which has 24 shades)
I am not saying that studying with good quality colors is a bad thing. But for my students, I generally suggest going for the BASICS, so they don't spend too much or restrict themselves thinking that only after they own a certain brand will they fair in something!
That isn't true at all.
Infact, you can always invest later, when you are more confident. And have more understanding of the things.
3. BRUSHES
There are variety of brushes available these days.. some are TRAVEL specific too..which can be rolled back and hence its easier to carry around..
The following are the sizes I carry:
Da Vinci (travel brush) size 10
Silver velvet size 4,10
Escoda size 14 (optional)
Water brush (no size mentioned) - this one has a detachable back, where one can store water. So you don't necessarily need a water container.
4. A Water container(s)
I generally carry a mini bottle of water.. to transfer to my orange container, as it gets dirty.
you may or may not need so much water... which depends on the SIZE of the painting as well.
A water container can also be held tightly.. or in a more sturdy way by sticking a magnet under it.. when you place it on the palette (which is generally made of steel) it wudnt budge!
This is needed only when you are standing and working.. However when you have a place to sit, then its better to place the container on the side.. so no accidents happen
5. Clip on's to hold everything together
As shown in the video
6. Tissues or/and a wipe cloth for the brushes
I generally use tissues.. but you can always clip on a "wipe cloth" to the board.
7. A BOARD
This is the base of all the things.. my sketchbook, palette and water container.
Check out the VIDEO again to see how I put everything on it!
This is a normal clip on board, that we used to use during exams.. you can also get a FOAM board.. or anything sturdy to hold all your stuff..
EXPERIMENT here if you can.. And if you find something better.. do let us know as well :)
In my next URBAN SKETCH, watch closely as to HOW
I am working with it!
And if you have any questions.. just ASK :)

No comments:
Post a Comment