Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Urban Sketching -"What Have You Been Missing??"

It's time to know about Urban Sketching.


But first let's have a look at my latest EXPLORATION in Goa!





What is Urban Sketching and why so much emphasis is being laid on it.. May be the FIRST question that might come to your mind, if you are NEW to this concept.


However, this concept isn't new. It is far from that, but what is rather INTERESTING is that this small idea, which has been growing ever since one can think of, has only been expanding in various forms and sizes that it never goes out of fashion for Art creators.


It only brings a sense of fulfillment (if you know how to use it well) and the excitement of TRYING something NEW each time you do it!

Now.. this one email, would NOT be ENOUGH to exactly help you understand about it.. So I would be dividing this topic into various sub topics.. And if you have any questions.. Just write back to me!
I would love to hear from you :) 

FIRST let's understand what I am doing in the VIDEO above! (very important)

1. I am sketching/drawing and then painting a LIVE subject, which means I am observing whatever it is I want to paint (like the beach and hut here) and drawing it on paper. This is also called "Plein Air Painting".

2. WHAT IS URBAN SKETCHING? - "Urban sketching is reportage: drawings or paintings created on-site, as a spontaneous response to people, places or incidents. It is the act of placing oneself in a space, attempting to capture and interpret a particular moment in time" - very rightly quoted by Lynn Chapman.

3. WHY is so IMPORTANT? - Urban sketching is an observational drawing/painting for a subject. Drawing or Painting from a picture is easier than a LIVE subject. And it helps TRAIN our eyes to observe the perspectives, tones and colors, which are otherwise not seen in photographs.
It can actually help us grow in leaps and bounds.. if done regularly.

More tips/videos on this sub topic soon, I promise! :)

4. It is something very personal, because EACH one of us has a different perspective towards LIFE and the space around us. Each one of us has different experienes and choices.. so each one of us can capture it in different ways (if done sincerely)

5. It can be done INDOORS as well as OUTDOORS. The main idea is to capture the STORY. And ofcourse to find it too!

6. People call it Art Journaling as well, in the sense, when you are travelling to different places, you are trying to capture/journal your EXPERIENCE of that particular place, people or food for example. Which has also led to different forms and mediums being explored.

7. I am using The Black Sketchbook here and Metallic Deco Markers by Karin Markers.


Click here to find the one I am using here.

8. I use different mediums to paint and this is just ONE of them. The versatility if this concept makes it very lucrative for people to try!
You can find me trying different mediums on my Youtube channel as well and also find some FREE tutorials/videos to LEARN!

"The basic tools used by me in Urban Sketching" is the next topic of discussion and a very important one.. So keep a tab of my next mail :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything about "The Creative's Course" by Niharika

  ENROLL FOR THE COURSE HERE! The Creative's Course by Niharika is a place for you to Learn, Grow and Thrive! What is The Creative's...